Title: Community Engagement Specialist
First Witness Child Advocacy Center
Deadline to apply: January 15, 2019
This position is full time (40 hr/ wk). Starting range is $32,000 – $33,500 with full benefits (health, dental, life, long term disability, 403b).
Reports to: Executive Director
To Apply, please submit resume, cover letter and professional references to
Subject: Community Engagement Specialist
Contact: Tracie Clanaugh
Address: First Witness Child Advocacy Center, 4 West 5th Street, Duluth, MN 55806
Attention: Tracie Clanaugh, Community Engagement Specialist
First Witness Child Advocacy Center is built upon our large multidisciplinary team of professionals (law enforcement, social workers, doctors, therapists, advocates, prosecutors, and public defender’s office). Our dedicated team members work together to investigate child abuse and coordinate needed services for families. We provide forensically sound interviews for children, adolescents, and vulnerable adults who have reported sexual abuse, physical abuse, witnessed violence, or who may have been otherwise victimized. Our interviews provide a safe and comfortable space for victims to talk about the abuse in one video recorded interview by a trained professional. The report of abuse is not the end, but rather the beginning. First Witness offers in depth advocacy and counseling for children and families that promotes strength, hope, healing and resiliency.
The Community Engagement Specialist primary responsibility is to ensure consistent and engaging communication with funders, donors, Board of Directors, volunteers and participants in our National Training Program. This position is full-time (40 hours/week) starting range is 32,000-33,500 plus full benefits, reports to Executive Director.
- Assist with the creation and implementation of the Community Engagement Plan that incorporates a range of strategies including annual appeals, major donors, grants, corporate and individual appeals, social media and special events.
- Work with events committees in establishing goals, strategies and implementation of strategies to hold successful fundraising events. Recruit and coordinate staff and volunteers for events including Board members and community volunteers. Provide leadership leading up to and on day of event to staff and volunteers.
- Provide leadership and implementation of appeal campaigns and other fundraising communications and strategies.
- Coordinate First Witness social media including event outreach and visibility strategies. Manage First Witness website.
- Assist Training Coordinator in all aspects of First Witness National Training Program including training registration and invoicing, training logistics including food and evaluation.
- Work with Minnesota Children’s Alliance on Stand Against Child Abuse Annual Conference including development of marketing materials, registration and event logistics.
- Assist in grant research and tracking.
- Perform administrative duties as needed including filing, copying, sorting, office supply ordering and mailing.
- Work closely with Executive Director to communicate and organize Board of Directors.
- Record donations on an ongoing basis in the donor database and generate acknowledgments and thank you letters. Design and run reports and assist with database maintenance.
- Attend networking events with First Witness staff to increase professional network, refine and enhance First Witness outreach and capacity.
- Answer phones and assist with scheduling child interviews according to ChildFirst Forensic Interviewing guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and knowledge of communication principles and practices.
- Knowledge and experience with data entry systems and reporting.
- Experience with planning fundraising events.
- Experience and knowledge of best practices of non-profit community fundraising.
- Knowledge of social media tools: Facebook, knowledge of website management.
- Interest and desire to learn how to become an impactful development and communication professional.
- Proficient in the use of various MS Office programs, including Word, Excel and Outlook, and ability to use various databases and web-based systems.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and follow through with minimal direction.
- Attention to detail, project management skills, and being highly organized.
- Flexibility in varied job assignments.
- Willingness to pitch in when/where needed.
- Upbeat, positive attitude and willingness to support other team members.
- An understanding of and belief in, the mission of First Witness Child Advocacy Center.
- Ability to work with compassion and patience in an environment that serves children and families.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associates Degree.
- Maintain dexterity, vision and coordination, sufficient to perform essential functions.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time for 6-8 hours.
- Able to lift and move boxes.
- Requires the ability to be mobile (including, but not limited to walking, bending, reaching, lift boxes, etc.).